Rising above the sea of green sugar cane fields, like a great ship at anchor, the old Beau Plan sugar mill with its long
history, is a true history-maker and teller. It is Situated at Beau Plan, very near to the Botanical Gardens. By following
the trail of the Sugar Adventure with over 250 years of history, you can trace the history of the whole country, as in a
book – a mixture of faces, the verdant or silvery sugarcane in the countryside and the sunny, colorful customs.
The tour of the old sugar mill transformed into a modern museum lasts about 1:30 hours, at the end of which delightful sugar
and rum tastings await the visitor. The adventure starts right here behind the facade of the factory building with tales
woven around the life story of sugar, for long it has been the main product and activity on Mauritius. You will then visit the
enormous factory, its decade-old machines decked with a thousand lights.
The Mauritius Postal Museum has three permanent galleries. The first gallery sheds light on the postal history of Mauritius.
It presents stamps from the colonial period 1847- 1967 and Mauritian stamps issued between 1968 and 1995.
The colonial issues include the locally printed classics, the Britannias (1858 -1862) and the Victorians (1860 - 1893)
Photographs of old post offices and mail vehicles are exhibited on the walls.
This gallery also houses the Sales Counter/Gift Shop, which offers for sale to the visitor philatelic accessories: stock books,
stamp albums, mounts and tweezers; postage stamps; first day covers; and souvenir items.
Special arrangements can be made here for servicing covers. Letters posted at the museum are cancelled with special cachets.
The National History Museum is situated at Mahebourg, in a fine park extending to about 12 acres, on the bank of
River La Chaux. It is housed in Chateau Gheude (also known as Maison Robillard), an old French colonial country
house built around 1772 and presently listed as a national heritage. It was in a wing of this historic building that the
two Commanders of the English and French squadrons, wounded in the Battle of Grand Port in 1810, were given
medical treatment side by side. The National History Museum finds its origin in the Naval Relics Museum and the Museum of
The Naval Relics Museum was set up by the Mauritius Railways in 1934 and was located on the ground floor of the Secretariat
Building in Port Louis. In 1941, it came under the purview of the Mauritius Institute. The museum exhibited the objects
(canons, mortars, part of hulk, bottles) retrieved from the shipwreck La Magicienne in 1933 and 1934 by H.C.M. Austen, engineer
at the Mauritius Railways. The museum was closed in 1942.
The Museum of Historical Souvenirs was created by Lady
Clifford, wife of Governor Clifford. It was opened in March 1938 and housed in two rooms, on the second floor of the Government
House. The collection comprised furniture and ceramics belonging to the East India Company and artefacts donated or
loaned to the museum.
The National History Museum
The National History Museum is located on the ground floor of the Mauritius Institute Building, right in front of the Jardin
de la Compagnie in the heart of the City of Port Louis. The Mauritius Institute Building, constructed between 1880
and 1884, is listed as a National Heritage. This one-storey building is a partial copy of the Colombo Museum building in
Sri Lanka. Its plans were designed by the British architect M. Mann.
The Natural History Museum is the oldest museum of Mauritius and amongst the oldest in southern Africa. In 1826, the naturalists
Julien Desjardins and Louis Bouton made a request to Governor Sir Lowry Cole to set up a museum in Mauritius. On 14
October 1842, the Desjardins Museum was opened to the public, in a wing of the old Royal College in Port Louis, where it remained
for 42 years.
Frederik Hendrik Museum
The Frederik Hendrik Museum is located on the south-east coast of Mauritius. It is situated at the Vieux Grand Port
Historic Site, the cradle of Mauritian History. This is the site of the first human settlement in Mauritius. The Dutch
discovered Mauritius in 1598. However, they settled here only in 1638, when the Fort Frederik Hendrik was constructed.
The Dutch abandoned the island for good in 1710. The French claimed Mauritius in 1715 and established
their government on the same site in 1722. Later, the French moved their administration to Port Louis.
However, they developed
the site into a military post to assure the security of the bay and the island. Following the transfer of the military post to
the newly created town of Mahebourg in 1806, the site was abandoned.
In 1998, the Vieux Grand Port Historic Site was rehabilitated and landscaped to mark the 400th anniversary of the first Dutch
landing on Mauritius. It was inaugurated by H.R.H. Prince Maurits Van Oranje-Nassau, descendant of Maurits Van Nassau, stathoulder
of the Netherlands, after whom Mauritius was named in 1598.